Sunday, November 20, 2011

Making Salt Bar Soaps

Rosemary & Eucalyptus Sea Salt Bar Soap

Okay this journey takes us on the luxurious spa type salt bar soapmaking process.

I know a lot of us already knows how to make sea salt bar soaps. This is to help those of you who would like to make some salt bar soaps, and do not necessarily know how to, or those who want to but are not sure of the ratio's of salt to use.

Here is a recap of my soapmaking process with some info on my soap formula, I make 6lbs of soap at a time, however this is going to double your soap recipe, because of the addition of the sea salt to the soap. Here is my a brief overview of my soap formula, so you can get an idea of my process and how this may or may not work with you and how you make soaps:
I use a total of 80oz of oils and approximately 24oz of water for my lye solution (yes, I deduct a good portion of water from my formulas)
my oils consist of:
 50oz of hard oils, and 30oz of soft oils, 5oz's of my soft oils are castor oil.
You will need 80oz of sea salt, I would use a fine or medium coarse grade of sea salt, if your looking for a truly exfoliating salt bar than you may want a medium coarse grade of Sea salt, if your looking for a smoother type of bar that has a lighter touch to it, than the fine grade of sea salt is what you'll want.
Again I soap at room temperature, meaning my lye and oils are all room temperature when I combine them. I choose to use pure essential oils for my salt bars to give a truly therapeutic benefit, and the fact that salt bars like to se tup fast, most fragrance oils accelerate cold process soaps in the first place, and this can & will cause your salt bars to become soap on a stick if your not careful.
Have your molds ready to go before you start soaping these bars.

Make your soap as usual, and at a light trace, add your essential oils or fragrance oils miss well, then add in your sea salt, all at once, mix well and be sure to mix any salt clumps that may form, pour into your mold(s).
I don't gel my soaps, so mine just sit out for about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, this is when you want to unmold your salt bars, they are still going to be warm, and slice them at this time. If you wait any longer they will crumble when you try to slice them. Allow them to cure for a few weeks and enjoy!

MAKING YOGURT SALT BARS
GRAPEFRUIT & PEPPERMINT YOGURT SEA SALT SPA BARS

I swiched up my sea salt bars a little by adding yogurt to my mixture, these are amazing!
Follow the directions just like you were making regular sea salt bar soaps, but deduct 50% of your water with greek yogurt. Add the yogurt right before you mix in the lye, add the yogurt directly to your oils, whisk in the yogurt to help break it up and combining them together is easier. I then add the lye solution to the oils and yogurt, then fragrance oil or essential oil(s), now add your sea salt to the mix.
The addition of yogurt to your salt bars will add extra fats to the soap mixture and give you a superior creamy soap that is very moisturizing to your skin.
I have found that greek yogurt has more fat in it than regular yogurt, and will add a nice super fatting to your soaps adding creaminess to your soap giving your soap a nice finish that feels rich and creamy on your skin.
When using yogurt in your soaps be sure to use plain unflavored yogurt.

HAPPY SOAPING!




No comments:

Post a Comment